How do I get a referral?
Visit your family doctor or nurse practitioner. Explain your symptoms and medical history. Based on your symptoms, history and in-office test results, your doctor or nurse practitioner will make a referral for you to the Central Intake Centre (CIC) for further specialized assessment and treatment or assignment for a surgical consult if required.
What is the process once my referral is made?
When your referral is received at the Central Intake Centre, it is reviewed to make sure it is appropriate and that all the necessary information is included. Your referral will be sent to a Rapid Access Clinic who will contact you for an appointment. You will be assessed by a specially trained nurse, physiotherapist, or chiropractor and provided further advice. If there is no Rapid Access Clinic available for your condition, the referral will be forwarded to a surgeon who will contact you for an appointment.
How can I find out which Rapid Access Clinic (RAC) received my referral?
You can call central intake for hip/knee replacement at 613-721-7890. If you have been referred to ISAEC (Low Back Pain RAC) but have not been contacted within 4 weeks, you may call 613-798-5555 x 13827 and enquire.
What does Musculoskeletal (MSK) mean?
Musculoskeletal refers to any muscle, joint or bone conditions that may result in pain and/or mobility issues. Orthopaedic refers to the branch of medicine concerned with the correction or prevention of deformities, disorders, or injuries of the skeleton and associated structures (such as tendons and ligaments).
Can I refer myself?
No. You must be referred by a primary care practitioner (PCP) e.g. family doctor or nurse practitioner or by a specialist such as a rheumatologist, sports medicine doctor, physiatrist.
Is this service covered by OHIP?